Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pat Conroy's Love Letter to Wolfe

"During that Christmas, I was under the illusion that Thomas Wolfe had written his book (Look Homeward, Angel) solely because he knew that I would one day read it, that a boy in South Carolina would enter his house of art with his arms wide open, ready and waiting for everything that Thomas Wolfe could throw at him. The rhythms of his prose style, oceanic and brimming with strange life, infected the way I wrote...Once I entered into the country of Thomas Wolfe without visa or passport, I never went back to the boy I was before Look Homeward, Angel, most flaws I have as a man and a writer I can trace directly to the early influence of Thomas Wolfe."
My Reading Life
-Pat Conroy

Posted via email from getoffthebusinc's posterous

No comments: