Wednesday, August 17, 2011

AN EXCERPT FROM VISCOSITY, MY NEW NOVEL IN PROGRESS

"...If I held a certain pair of pants or shirt up close to my face and really press my nose to them, I could still smell the smoking remains of yesterday. All night, I'd be afraid that I would wake up to a world crackling with flames and thick muscled smoke choking me, my house burning, guinea pig screaming like a woman. The insistent incessant voice of fire asserts itself, roars of its authority; an unstoppable willful engine of destruction. Everything changed during a fire and in the aftermath, fire changed everything and kept on changing things...things out of your control, things you wouldn't think that a fire could touch even as your home is a wet rubble mess, the last flame extinguished a long time ago still burns somewhere in the back of your mind. It smolders like a temper and is fanned by fear.
Always, always there...
...Always."

Posted via email from getoffthebusinc's posterous

No comments: