Tuesday, August 16, 2011

THE DAILY IMPROV #3

Some Kind of Wonderment


And I wonder...
...how many poems have I written
begin like that?
or begin with...
And I wonder...
or,
And then she said...
or,
And then I got to thinking...

First thing though, that
I have to remember is that
sentences that start with the words
'and', or
'but', or
'or'
are supposed to be weak
and signs of poor grammar.

But then I got to thinking...
...that while 'And' and 'But' are
conjunctions in prose,
they are leaping on or leaping off
points for poems
that can help you stick the landing
to show permanence or
they can provide you with an
exit,
an excuse to start new thoughts
and be flighty all the way across
the page.

But then I thought...
what if none of this shit matters
and I'm writing down words for
the sake of writing down
words.

And then I thought,
maybe the analysis is
just as dumb
if not dumber than
the subject matter

And it will only be
a small amount of
time that when we contemplate
our navels
we will write odes to
the contemplation
and eventually
we will compose careful reviews
of each contemplation
and then we will review the review
of the review that reviews each
contemplation

But then I get to wondering...
...why don't we go straight
to the source,
the origin of all this
cough-cough
literature
and
just
review
the
navel and only the navel.





No comments: