Tuesday, April 3, 2012

SHOULD WRITERS RESPOND TO BAD REVIEWS?

As a book reviewer, I aways try to emphasize the positive. I give a synopsis of the book, attempt to show what the author is trying to say or do in their book and if he/she succeeded. I compare the piece with other books that are in the same genre or if non-fiction, the same or nearly the same topic. I compare the author's prose sytle with established authors. I point out strengths and weaknesses of the book with constructive criticism. While writing a review I do not use sarcasm, I am not mean and I do not call attention to myself. A book reviewer is supposed to write intelligent, well-informed, clear and concise critiques, not entertain with quips and comments that are equivalent to the dialogue of a situation comedy. L.

No comments: