Thursday, March 3, 2011

Editing? Are Editors A Dying Breed?


I write. I write poems, short stories, essays, reviews, a novel in progress, plays, all sorts of stuff. I'm decent at editing myself. Actually, I am more than decent at editing myself, I am a relentless editor of my own writing. But, I can't catch all the errors and I am grateful to have dedicated editors to help make my writing shine. Even with my OCD like behavior when it comes to self-editing, it is helpful to have somebody with a command of the English language and someone I respect to tell me when I suck or when I am right on. Writers need great editors to make good literature. I'm no exception.
L

Black day for the blue pencil

"Once they were key figures in literary publishing, respected by writers who acknowledged their contribution to shaping books. But, argues Blake Morrison, editors are now an endangered species
Blake Morrison

The Observer, Sat 6 Aug 2005 01.59 BST

Has editing had its day? A Dutch publisher recently described to me how a British author had sent her the first draft of his new book. Though a great admirer of his work, she felt that this time he hadn't done justice to his material. So they sat down together and mapped out a different perspective and storyline and he went away and rewrote the book. It's not often you hear publishers speak of being so frankly interventionist - and I wondered if that was why the author had sent his book to a Dutch editor, because this kind of intense collaborative process between author and editor no longer exists in Britain..." 
To read the rest of this article click the link below:
Sent from my iPhone

Posted via email from getoffthebusinc's posterous

No comments: