Thursday, June 12, 2008

Journal

Wednesday, June 11, 2008


Journal
Current mood: determined
Category: Writing and Poetry


Where to begin?

1. Eric Brown, Sci-Fi book reviewer for the Guardian UK and science fiction author sent me a signed and inscribed copy of his sci-fi novel, Kethani that I reviewed for Foreword Magazine. He said he liked my review and wished me the best. My editor told me that my review was the front and center showpiece review for his novel at The American book Exposition in LA.

Sweeeet!
2. I completed my play Fissures. Yay! It will probably be included in a show that my theater company, Get Off The Bus Inc will be performing at the Ridge Street Coffee Café In Glens Falls New York (The launch of my coffee house theater circuit) August 29-30, in a show called "Man and Woman", an anthology of one acts I wrote with an ongoing theme about the dynamics between men and women through all sorts of interactions. The running time is approx 1 hour and 50 minutes with a 15-20 minute intermission. I will be directing and most likely perform in some supportive roles. I will post the specifics as time goes by.

3. ForeWord Magazine has given me carte blanche to pick the Sci-Fi, Horror and Fantasy books I want to review from independent publishers of sci-fi and fantasy books. I'm already scheduled to review some books by some well known authors from Solaris Press, including, Eric Brown's new novel and Brian Lumley's works of Lovecraft fiction, as well as many others. So, all you sci-fi, fantasy and horror authors with independent pubs drop me an email and maybe we can figure something out.

4. About two years ago I reviewed a philosophy/ethics book for ForeWord Magazine/Clarion Reviews, called Instilling Values in Transcending Generations: Bringing Harmony to Cultures Through the Power of Conscience, part of Tieman H. Dippel Jr.'s Language of Conscience Series, which includes the book mentioned above and the books, The New Legacy and The Language of Conscience. 2-3 weeks ago I received a request from Mr. Dippel and his publishers relayed to me through the editors of Clarion/ForeWord Magazine to review Dippel's new introductory material to his Language of Conscience Series. (Okay, bear with me for a little bit, because I'm about to do some shameless plugging and tooting of my own horn.)
In a personal letter Mr. Dippel and his publishers said, "…it was one of the best reviews she had seen for a very complicated book aimed at a certain purpose…What simply triggered this interest (review of the new introductory material in each volume) is the quality of the last review (mine). Whoever you had write it (Me) did as good a job of grasping a very complicated set of issues as some of the most significant philosophers in the world…I do feel my editors are correct in that if we could get a review as thoughtful and as enlightened as the last it could be of great help to us in helping define what is in the four (was three) books of the series."

5. Back to the real world, as always I am behind on some reviews…My editor wanted them Monday. Once I shape these two reviews the way I want them, I will read Joe Hill's novel, Heart Shaped Box for shits and giggles, finish off my Avatar Comics proposal, a twelve page sample script of a StarGate Stargate Atlantis crossover (been working on that a long time), start rehearsals for Man and Woman (gotta write a short play that bridges two other short plays, I know the whole thing in my head, only need the time to write it. I need to work on my novel, The Uncertainty of Knowing, start writing the new 3 act play I've been planning, When the Angels Fall. APT will be approaching me soon to write and possibly direct something for the new season. Gotta graphic novel, the First Stone (based on my play of the same name) I've been tooling around with and a few other odds and ends that amuse me. I have been working diligently in my new office except for the last couple of nights because of the heat. For Father's day, the wife, my mom and the girls and I will do our normal annual picnic, squirt gun, soccer ball kicking frisbee tossing, book buying spree( and I think they will buy me a foldable Bluetooth keyboard for my AT&T 8525, which has been indispensable to me. In one corner of my office I have a giant tower of books that almost looks like a Mayan temple, books that need to be catalogued, organized and shelved. My friend J and I plan on attacking that mess soon, I have maybe ten more boxes of books I need to bring over to the office and I will be completely moved in. Whipppe! I hope to heck I can live up to Mr. Dippel's expectations. Yes, he swelled my head, but he also raised the bar. Let's see if I have the mettle to meet it.

6. And now back to work.

L

No comments: